Adult Probation 101

Adult Probation FAQ

Felony probation provides an offender the benefit of supervision in the community, instead of prison. Offenders are given terms and conditions of probation to follow for three to five years. If the offender violates those terms and conditions of probation, they could be sentenced to serve the remainder of their sentence in County or State Prison.

When an offender is convicted of misdemeanor charges, sentencing can range from probation, jail time, fines, community service or a combination of any of the above consequences. Misdemeanor probation, also known as court, summary, or informal probation, is supervised by the court, not the probation department. If an offender’s misdemeanor probation terms requires classes, community service, counseling, etc., they are held accountable by the court.

Upon your initial check in with the probation department, you will have an orientation and assessment, many classes will be offered to you for your success while on probation. At any time, you may contact your local Day Reporting and Reentry Services Center to request to enroll in available classes. You may also contact your assigned probation officer for information about classes.

Contact your attorney, turn yourself into a law enforcement agency or to the San Bernardino County Probation Department.

Bail cannot be posted for a violation of probation (VOP).

If you are arrested, charged with any offense, or have any police contact, notify your probation officer immediately.

Immediately notify your probation officer about your plans to move. Once you have moved, immediately report to the probation office and request to fill out a change of address form.

You must not have or attempt to have any contact with the person or place. Any contact is a violation of probation. If that person tries to contact you, do not agree to make contact, tell your probation officer immediately.

If this is a life threatening emergency, call 9-1-1 immediately. If you believe someone is violating their probation terms, you can contact the probation department and request to speak with the assigned officer or the Officer Of The Day and report your concerns.

Your probation case will be closed and you no longer need to check in. You will not receive notification from the probation department regarding your case being expired and closed. You can also check the status of your court case online to confirm your expiration date.

Early termination depends on your eligibility. You must have complied with all terms and conditions of probation, completed at least half of your probation term. You can request an early termination through your assigned probation officer.

Yes, pursuant to Penal Code section 1203.4. If you are interested in this process consult with your attorney.

Who IS allowed to register and vote?

  • Persons with a criminal history who can register to vote:
    • In county jail:
      • Serving a misdemeanor sentence (a misdemeanor never affects your right to vote
      • Because jail time is a condition of probation (misdemeanor or felony)
      • Serving a felony jail sentence
      • Awaiting trial
    • On parole
    • On probation
    • On mandatory supervision
    • On post-release community supervision
    • On federal supervised release
    • A person with a juvenile wardship adjudication

Who IS NOT allowed to register and vote?

  • Persons with a criminal history and currently serving a state or federal prison term for the conviction of a felony in:
    • State prison
    • Federal prison
    • County jail or other correctional facility*

Can I register to vote and vote once I have finished serving my term?

  • Yes. Once you have finished serving your term, your right to vote is restored. However, you must register online at or by filling out a paper voter registration card.

The supervision of criminal offenders by which they are ordered by the court to follow terms and conditions of probation. The San Bernardino County Probation Department supervises felony cases and some misdemeanors.

Effective October 2011, the California Public Safety Realignment plan mandates that non violent, non serious, or non sexual offenders are supervised by the probation department. This is also known as Post Release Community Supervision.

Under Section 1170(h) of the Penal Code is the supervision of an offender in the community for a court ordered period of time, after the offender has served a length of time in custody in County Prison. Mandatory supervision is supervised by the probation department.

A portion of a County Prison sentence served in custody at the county jail and the remainder of the sentence to be served in the community as mandatory supervision.

A sentence that is served at the County jail in lieu of State Prison.

An immediate sanction of up to 10 days in county jail for a violation of PRCS terms.

A jail or prison sentence that is suspended, or put on hold, while the offender is given an opportunity to comply with the terms and conditions of probation that are ordered by the court. If an offender violates their terms and conditions of probation, the court has the authority to order the offender to serve the suspended time.

Custody time in jail served without the consideration of work release, release on mandatory supervision or the benefit of 4019 credits.

Misdemeanor probation, ordered and supervised by the court following a misdemeanor conviction.

Also known as a PSI, a report to the court for sentencing, which provides specific information, including victim impact statements and victim restitution information, biographical information about the defendant, and a recommended sentence.

A report submitted to the Court indicating which terms and conditions are alleged to be violated and the reason why they are alleged violated. The petition is reviewed by the court at the arraignment hearing.

A report written by a probation officer that explains to the court the reason for a violation of probation. The report includes a recommendation by the probation officer as to whether the probationer is suitable and eligible for continued probation supervision or incarceration.

Also known as weekend work release or weekend commitment. Under the direction of the court, an inmate may be released before the maximum sentence in jail has been served in order to remain in the community and work for a minimum of two days per week in lieu of custody time.

The violation of one or more terms and conditions of probation set forth ordered by the court.

An arrest warrant ordered by the court against an offender in a criminal case. Bench warrants may be issued for violations of probation (VOP) or failing to appear at a court appearance (FTA).

Money paid to compensate the loss of stolen or damaged property, medical and psychological treatment costs, and funeral costs to victims and other costs or damages as ordered by the court.

“A person who suffers direct or threatened physical, psychological, or financial harm as a result of the commission or attempted commission of a crime or delinquent act.” The term victim also includes the person’s spouse, parents, children, siblings, or guardian, or a lawful representative of a crime victim who is deceased, a minor, or physically or psychologically incapacitated. (Cal Const., art.1 & 28).

Adult “How Do I?”

Immediately upon release from custody or being sentenced to felony probation, report to the nearest probation office. At that time, you will receive an orientation and assessment and the probation officer will provide you with contact information.

Your court date can be found on the most recent minute orders provided by the Court. You may also go to Superior Court of California County of San Bernardino and enter your case number to find out your next court date.

The San Bernardino County Probation Department does not disclose adult inmate information. The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department Inmate Locator can provide information regarding San Bernardino County inmates.

Information regarding adult probationers is provided to individuals or agencies with a right or need to know.

All payments are to be received through Central Collections. Central Collections accepts cash, check and credit card payments.

Contact your assigned probation officer to find out your probation expiration date. Your expiration date is included on your minute order from your last court date.

You can access your court records to check for an active warrant on the San Bernardino County Superior Court website, or you may contact your assigned probation officer.

If you have an active warrant, turn yourself into a law enforcement agency or to the San Bernardino County Probation Office immediately.

You must complete all custody time before having your case transferred to another county. Before the transfer-out process can begin, your probation officer will request the following items from you:

  • Proof of residence (utility bill or rental agreement).
  • Name of individuals who will be living with you and whether they are on probation or parole
  • California ID or Driver’s License with current address

Once these items are received, you will be notified by a probation officer that your case is in the process of being transferred to another county. You may be required to appear in court for a 1203.9 transfer hearing; however, you will be notified prior to the court date. You must continue to follow your terms and conditions of probation and check in with your probation officer in San Bernardino County as directed until you are notified that your case has been successfully transferred.

All custody time must be fulfilled and specific documents must be provided to the San Bernardino County Probation Department to begin the transfer process. A probationer must remain in California until a travel permit is approved through Interstate Compact. Upon receiving a travel permit and moving out of state, the probationer may not leave their new state of residence, unless they receive permission from Interstate Compact.

A person who has successfully completed probation supervision may request a reduction of a felony to a misdemeanor, pursuant to Penal Code Section 17(b) and dismissal of the charge, pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4. To receive a reduction and/or dismissal, you must request to appear before the court, in person or through your attorney.

The court may assess fines and fees for such services as legal representation, booking fees, supervision fees and victims restitution. These fines and fees are collected by the Central Collections Division of the Auditor-Controller.

If you have any questions regarding payments and billing of fines and fees regarding your case, you must contact Central Collections directly. Your payments will be monitored by the San Bernardino County Probation Department, in accordance with your court ordered terms and conditions of probation.

All payments: cash, check and credit card are received through Central Collections.

The Central Collections office is located at:

268 W Hospitality Ln,
San Bernardino, CA 92415
The phone number is: 909-387-8303
The website is: